Birth control is an essential aspect of family planning and women’s health. Many individuals, particularly women, are concerned about the potential side effects of using birth control methods. One of the most common concerns is whether or not a particular birth control method will cause weight gain.
This is a valid concern, as weight gain can lead to various health issues and may affect a person’s overall well-being.
The link between birth control and weight gain has been a topic of debate for decades. Some studies suggest that there may indeed be a connection, while others argue that the evidence is inconclusive.
This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide to the best birth control to avoid weight gain, debunking the myth that all birth control methods lead to weight gain, and offering tips for maintaining a healthy weight while using birth control.
Best Birth Control to Avoid Weight Gain
- Hers – Best birth control for taming testosterone
- Medzino – Best birth control for weight loss
- Nurx – Best birth control pills with the least side effects
The best birth control to avoid weight gain depends on how well you metabolize hormones, both your own and those in contraception. For this reason, we decided on three comprehensive telehealth providers.
Hers – Best Birth Control for Taming Testosterone
Hers stocks a brilliant range of contraceptive pills, including the best birth control for weight loss.
Who Should Try Hers?
Hers stocks some of the best birth control to avoid weight gain, which contains norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol (EE/NGM), and ethinyl estradiol with desogestrel (EE/DSG).
Ethinyl estradiol has anti-testosterone effects, which may reduce the impact of excess testosterone on your insulin-signaling pathways. Additionally, norgestimate and desogestrel don’t stimulate testosterone receptors as much as older forms of progesterone .
This makes them the best birth control for PCOS, a condition that features weight gain. Here, high testosterone raises insulin resistance and increases levels of the hormone. Insulin promotes the accumulation of body fat, making weight loss difficult . As they also reduce skin oiliness, EE/NGM and EE/DSG pills are the best birth control for acne, too .
Pros of Using Hers
- Monthly subscription rates start at $12
- Find the best birth control for weight loss without spending time traveling to a doctor’s office or sitting in a waiting room
- Developed by OB/GYNs, not just any entrepreneur.
Cons of Using Hers
- The online consultation may miss underlying conditions such as PCOS or fibroids, which lead to weight gain or the appearance of bloating.
Medzino – Best Birth Control Pill for Weight Loss
Medzino provides a number of progestin-only minipills and low-dose estrogen pills, which may be the best birth control for weight loss.
Who Should Try Medzino?
Medzino can grant you access to the best birth control pill for weight loss if you’re bothered by contraception with higher doses of estrogen. While modern pills don’t contain enough estrogen to increase fat mass, they can still cause fluid retention .
Today, women taking the contraceptive pill do not gain more weight than women using other methods. There is still a chance that they can reduce muscle mass, but it’s likely that women experiencing side effects from contraception skip workouts. This is why it’s important to find a pill with little to no side effects .
Pros of Using Medzino
- All active ingredients, fillers, and additives are listed for each pill
- A real healthcare professional reviews your quiz answers to find the best birth control pill for weight loss
- Also stocks medication for insomnia, migraine, and more, including HRT for menopause.
Cons of Using Medzino
- The “consultation” is very short, featuring only a two-minute quiz.
Nurx – Best Birth Control Pills with the Least Side Effects
Nurx is another high-quality telehealth provider of the best birth control to avoid weight gain, with many brands having the least side effects.
Who Should Try Nurx?
We recommend Nurx for women experiencing unpleasant side effects from their current contraception. Additionally, the best birth control for teens, due to high fertility, is that with few or no adverse effects.
Nurx offers pills safe for continuous use. By preventing menstruation, which can cause debilitating pain and fatigue, you could stick to your exercise routine all month long. If you are extremely sensitive to estrogen, Nurx’s minipills may be the right contraception for you.
Whether you experience fluid retention from your current pill, your period, or PMS, Nurx has the relief you need. The best birth control pill for weight loss in your case may feature drospirenone as the progestin, which is a diuretic .
Pros of Using Nurx
- Unusual among telehealth providers in that they accept health insurance
- Purchase morning-after pills in a safe environment
- Over 50 generic and branded choices are sure to include the best birth control pill for weight loss
Cons of Using Nurx
- You cannot buy oral contraception through Nurx in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Kansas, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, Vermont, or West Virginia.
Debunking the Myth: Do All Birth Control Options Cause Weight Gain?
The short answer is no, not all birth control options cause weight gain. However, some methods may be more likely to cause weight gain than others. Whether it affects you depends on how well you metabolize estrogen, and how much estrogen is in your contraception.
Modern contraceptive pills do not contain enough estrogen to cause weight gain from fat unless you are very sensitive. If you stop exercising due to side effects or overeat in anticipation that weight gain will happen regardless, even the best birth control pill for weight loss will have no benefit in this area.
Factors Affecting Weight Gain While Using Birth Control
Before delving into the best birth control for weight loss journeys, it’s essential to understand the factors that may affect weight gain while using birth control. These factors include:
- Individual differences: Each person is unique, and their body may react differently to various birth control methods. What may cause weight gain for one person may not have the same effect on another.
- Hormonal changes: Hormones in birth control methods can affect a person’s metabolism, appetite, and fat storage. These changes may lead to weight gain in some individuals.
- Lifestyle factors: A person’s diet, exercise habits, and stress levels can all influence weight gain. These factors may interact with hormonal birth control methods, potentially leading to weight gain.
- Duration of use: The length of time a person uses a particular birth control method may affect weight gain. Some individuals may experience weight gain initially, with their body adjusting over time and eventually returning to its previous weight.
Understanding these factors can help you make informed choices about the best birth control method for your individual needs and preferences.
Overview of the Best Birth Control for Weight Loss
If you can’t find the best birth control pill for weight loss, there are several other options available that can help you meet your weight loss goals unhindered. These methods include:
- Intrauterine devices (IUDs): IUDs are small, T-shaped devices inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. Both hormonal and non-hormonal IUDs are available, with the hormonal IUD releasing a small amount of progestin and the non-hormonal IUD containing copper. Research has shown that IUDs have little or no impact on weight gain.
- Barrier methods: Barrier methods, such as condoms, diaphragms, and cervical caps, work by physically blocking sperm from entering the uterus. These methods do not contain hormones and are not associated with weight gain.
- Sterilization: Sterilization is a permanent form of birth control, involving either tubal ligation for women or vasectomy for men. Since these procedures do not involve hormones, they are among the best birth control for weight loss.
- Natural methods: Natural birth control methods, such as fertility awareness-based methods and withdrawal, do not involve hormones or devices and are not associated with weight gain. Natural Cycles is our top choice, as it uses your personal data, including body temperature, to pinpoint your fertile window. It does not assume you have a 28-day cycle, unlike other apps.
Which Birth Control Causes Weight Loss?
Can birth control make you lose weight? If you have PCOS, you may find that an EE/NGM or EE/DSG pill breaks the cycle of high testosterone and high insulin, allowing you to make progress on your weight loss journey. If side effects are preventing you from working out, the best birth control pill for weight loss may be a low-dose or a minipill.
For those looking for the best birth control pill for weight loss, more potent isn’t better. Birth control pills that contain a combination of estrogen and progestin, particularly those with lower doses of estrogen, may be less likely to cause weight gain as fluid retention.
However, individual responses to different birth control pills can vary, so it’s essential to speak with your healthcare provider to determine the best option for your needs.
Non-Hormonal Birth Control Options and Weight Management
As mentioned earlier, non-hormonal birth control options, such as IUDs, barrier methods, sterilization, and natural methods, are not associated with weight gain. These methods can be an excellent choice for individuals who have trouble finding the best birth control for weight loss journeys.
How to Lose Weight on Birth Control
Once your prescription is delivered, healthy lifestyle choices are necessary to see the benefits of the best birth control pill for weight loss:
- Maintain a balanced diet: Focus on consuming nutrient-dense foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Avoid highly processed, high-calorie, and sugary foods.
- Exercise regularly: Engage in regular physical activity, aiming for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise per week, along with muscle-strengthening activities on two or more days per week.
- Monitor your weight: Keep track of your weight by weighing yourself regularly and noting any significant changes. If you notice weight gain, discuss it with your healthcare provider.
- Manage stress: High-stress levels can counteract the best birth control for weight loss, so find healthy ways to cope with stress, such as practicing relaxation techniques, engaging in hobbies, or seeking professional help if needed.
If you’re looking for the best birth control to avoid weight gain, you may have further questions.
Does the Birth Control Patch Cause Weight Gain?
Some individuals may experience weight gain while using the birth control patch, but this side effect is generally rare. The patch contains hormones similar to those found in birth control pills, so the risk of weight gain may be similar to that of certain birth control pills.
Can Emergency Contraception Cause Weight Gain?
Emergency contraception, such as the morning-after pill, is not intended for regular use and is unlikely to cause significant weight gain. However, some individuals may experience temporary bloating or water retention after taking emergency contraception.
Will I Lose Weight If I Stop Using Hormonal Birth Control?
Some individuals may lose weight after stopping hormonal birth control, while others may not notice any significant changes in their weight. Weight loss after stopping hormonal birth control may be due to a decrease in water retention or other hormonal changes.
The Best Birth Control to Avoid Weight Gain: Final Thoughts
In conclusion, not all birth control options cause weight gain. The best birth control pill for weight loss may be found on Hers, Medzino, or Nurx, thanks to their wide range of choices.
It’s important to consult with your healthcare provider when choosing a birth control method, as they can provide personalized advice based on your medical history and individual needs. Additionally, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet and regular exercise, can help you manage your weight while using birth control.
- Jaisamrarn, Unnop et al. “A comparison of multiphasic oral contraceptives containing norgestimate or desogestrel in acne treatment: a randomized trial.” Contraception vol. 90,5 (2014): 535-41. doi:10.1016/j.contraception.2014.06.002
- Liao, Baoying et al. “Central Regulation of PCOS: Abnormal Neuronal-Reproductive-Metabolic Circuits in PCOS Pathophysiology.” Frontiers in endocrinology vol. 12 667422. 28 May. 2021, doi:10.3389/fendo.2021.667422
- Giersch, Gabrielle E W et al. “Estrogen to Progesterone Ratio and Fluid Regulatory Responses to Varying Degrees and Methods of Dehydration.” Frontiers in sports and active living vol. 3 722305. 14 Oct. 2021, doi:10.3389/fspor.2021.722305
- Lopez, Laureen M et al. “Progestin-only contraceptives: effects on weight.” The Cochrane database of systematic reviews vol. 2016,8 CD008815. 28 Aug. 2016, doi:10.1002/14651858.CD008815.pub4