Legal Steroids 101: Which to Use and Which Not to Use (2020 Review)
The Best Legal Steroids in 2020
- D-Bal Max — Best Overall
- Winsol—Best for Women
- Clenbutrol—Best for Cutting
- Anvarol—Best for High-Intensity Workouts
- HGH-X2—Best for Muscle Growth
Are you looking for supplements to build muscle? There’s a natural alternative to anabolic steroids that boost your body’s ability to build muscle with no side effects — legal steroids.
We look into the science behind these supplements to help you make your choice.
1. D-Bal Max — Best Overall
What Does It Do?
The main active ingredient in D-Bal Max is 20-hydroxyecdysone, a hormone that occurs naturally in plants, insects, and some water animals.
20-hydroxyecdysone is similar to testosterone in structure, and studies have shown it has muscle-building properties. It can help combat insulin resistance and obesity, which means you lose body fat as you build muscle mass. 20-hydroxyecdysone also works as an antioxidant in neural cells improving your mental health .
D-Bal Max also includes Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) and whey protein to increase your strength, maximize muscle gains, and stimulate protein synthesis. Only remember that the harder you train, the faster you bulk .
What Are the Side Effects?There are no known side effects for 20-hydroxyecdysone, and it’s generally well-tolerated among users. However, the whey protein complex included can be unsuitable if you have a milk allergy or are lactose intolerant.
The Final Verdict
D-Bal Max is a favorite of many bodybuilders thanks to the lean muscle gains it brings to the table. Together with a diligent training program and diet, it can help you get results faster than a simple protein supplement.
The core ingredient is a natural hormone, so you don’t have to worry about putting synthetic drugs into your system. Spinach produces large amounts of 20-hydroxyecdysone, so it seems like Popeye was right about the power of this leafy green veggie all along .
2. Winsol — Best for Women
What Does It Do?
Winsol includes acetyl-L-carnitine, a derivative of L-carnitine, which helps your body burn fat for energy. It also gives you more power for your workouts and enables you to recover faster .
You can get L-carnitine through animal products in your diet, especially red meat. Still, food can only make up for up to 75% of your L-carnitine needs; supplementation bridges that gap.
Winsol also includes choline, an essential nutrient that helps regulate your metabolism. Improved metabolic rates boost your energy levels, enhancing your exercise potential .
What Are the Side Effects?Acetyl-L-carnitine is already present in human cells and doesn’t cause side effects. A randomized trial concluded that subjects tolerated high-levels remarkably well .
The Final Verdict
This legal steroid has good results in muscle retention and strength, as well as cutting. Given that Winsol doesn’t have testosterone-boosting ingredients, it’s safe for both men and women.
3. Clenbutrol — Best for Cutting
What Does It Do?
Clenbutrol also includes Guarana, a popular South American plant that acts as a natural energizer. Guarana has four times more caffeine than coffee, giving you that extra bit of motivation for the gym .
What Are the Side Effects?
A case study found a possible link between Garcinia Cambogia supplements and liver toxicity, but the results weren’t conclusive. A more conclusive long-term study demonstrated that the plant’s beneficial in weight loss, with no adverse effects .
Remember that while guarana works like a pre-workout to give you an energy kick, it can also keep you up at night.
The Final Verdict
The legal steroid Clenbutrol is generally safe for both men and women and great for weight maintenance between cycles. Garcinia Cambogia helps you lose weight, and Guarana helps you keep motivated through your workouts.
4. Anvarol — Best for High-Intensity Workouts
What Does It Do?
ATP occurs naturally across the human body and in some foods, such as watermelon and flaxseed .This all-natural chemical increases phosphocreatine synthesis, decreases fatigue during exercise, and is especially suited for high-intensity, fat-burning workouts. It helps you give your all during a strenuous gym session, which will result in more muscle and a shredded physique . In a study on male athletes, ATP helped participants grow muscle mass and strength significantly faster.  Anvarol also contains BCAAs, soy protein, and whey protein to enhance mass gain further.
What Are the Side Effects?Adenosine triphosphate is naturally synthesized in your body, so it shouldn’t cause any side-effects. It has also been tested and found safe as a treatment for arrhythmia (a heart condition) in newborns; adults shouldn’t have any trouble with it .
The Final Verdict
Anvarol is excellent for cutting, strength, and maintaining lean muscle mass. It has no androgenic or testosterone-building effects. This means women won’t lose their feminine physique, making it suitable for both sexes.
5. HGH-X2 — Best for Muscle Growth
What Does It Do?
The key ingredient in HGH-X2 is L-arginine, a semi-essential amino acid. Your body produces L-arginine, but supplementing gives you a significant boost in athletic performance and can even reduce blood pressure levels .
HGH-X2’s ingredients list also includes the Andean superfood maca root, which gives you energy throughout the day. It also contains calcium, iron, and numerous amino acids for a complete nutritional profile .
What Are the Side Effects?L-arginine is safe, but it may cause some digestive issues, especially at higher doses .
The Final Verdict
HGH-X2 gives your body’s natural growth hormone production a push. It’s suitable for both men and women, is well-tolerated, and has a good mix of energy-enhancing ingredients.
6. TestoGen — Best Testosterone Booster
TestoGen includes testosterone-promoting aspartic acid, an amino acid that occurs naturally in animal and human brains. It also contains several natural ingredients, ranging from zinc to vitamins and piperine, which improve your overall health, strength, and vitality .
TestoGen works by giving you more strength to get through your workouts and grow muscle faster.
7. Testo Max — Best Multivitamin Mix
Testo Max is another all-natural product containing aspartic acid. This product also includes vitamins D3, K1, and B6; magnesium, zinc, and other health-boosting ingredients.
It's designed to boost your testosterone levels, helping you gain muscle mass. The vitamins and magnesium give you more energy, zinc boosts your defenses, and piperine has strong anti-inflammatory properties .
8. Trenorol — Best for Recovery
Trenorol is a safe, legal alternative to the anabolic steroid Trenbolone. It contains beta-sitosterol, which helps you regulate fat production. You can use it during a bulking and cutting phase.
Beta-sitosterol is common in plants and occurs in the human body, where it works as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory . These two properties are excellent in a workout supplement since less inflammation means less soreness and improved recovery.
9. Anadrole — Best for Weight Maintenance
Anadrole is the legal alternative to the powerful anabolic steroid Anadrol, without its well-documented side effects.
Anadrole’s key ingredient is the plant Tribulus Terrestris, which boosts testosterone and has an effect on carbohydrate resistance; this means it will help you shred excess body fat on top of its anti-inflammatory and muscle strength-improving properties. This supplement also contains whey, and soy protein isolates to boost further muscle mass growth .
10. DecaDuro — Best for Joints
DecaDuro is a holistic, natural replacement for the legal steroid Deca Durabolin that promises fast and durable gains, improved recovery, and joint pain relief. It’s ideal for building muscle mass and cutting. It is safe for both men and women.
It’s a mix of acetyl-L-carnitine, L-arginine, and Tribulus Terrestris. It also has L-citrulline, a plant-based nonessential amino acid you can find primarily in watermelon. The human body can produce this amino acid independently, but supplementing with L-citrulline can be beneficial to exercise and athletic performance .
11. Enhance — Best for Strength
Enhance is a mild natural testosterone booster containing the chemical laxogenin, a plant-based protein that stimulates growth. These hormones, or brassinosteroids, increase lean body mass and strength with a minimal effect on testosterone levels, making them less dangerous than anabolic steroids .
Enhance also comes with vitamin D3, zinc, and a combination of other plant-based ingredients that promise to support healthy testosterone levels and improve strength. One of these is Mucuna Pruriens, a plant known for its effects on fertility and hormone regulation .
What You Need To Know About Legal Steroids
Legal steroids are not steroids, but rather dietary supplements that have a similar effect. Here, we answer all your burning questions so you can make an informed decision about these products.
What Is a Natural Steroid?
Natural steroids are nutritional supplements that improve your body’s ability to generate muscle, shed fat, or give you strength for tough workouts. These products include naturally occurring substances, coming from plants, and already a part of your diet.
Natural steroids typically contain vitamins and minerals to boost your overall health. Other popular ingredients include plants like ginseng, maca, or guarana for an extra dose of energy.
Are These Legal Steroids Safe?
Legal steroids use natural ingredients, which is why they’re generally safe to use. Some of them are naturally occurring in your body, others you acquire from various foods or drinks.
There are not a lot of studies behind the safety of these plant compounds. Make sure you’re careful with the dosage at first to see how your body reacts, and stop using them if you notice any negative effects.
Do Legal Steroids Have Side Effects?
Legal steroids don’t have the same kinds of heavy adverse effects as illegal synthetic steroids. Some of them, like D-Bal Max, stimulate your body’s ability to produce testosterone, but not to the same degree as synthetic hormones.
Legal steroids, like any nutritional supplement, can have side effects, but they are mostly mild. Many of these compounds already exist in your body, so side-effects are typically the result of your body getting used to a higher dose.
When you start out, you may experience digestive issues, bloating, and headaches. These should go away as your body accommodates the nutritional changes.
If you’re lactose intolerant, products that contain whey protein may cause you some discomfort. The quantities are small, but if you’re very sensitive to lactose or have a milk allergy, you might want to look for non-whey options .
What Are the Benefits of Using Legal Steroids?
The benefits of using legal steroids vary depending on the active ingredients. A key advantage is that, unlike illegal steroids, they’re not dangerous to use. Here are some of the perks of these products:
- Improved testosterone production.
- Increased lean muscle mass.
- Fat burning.
- Appetite suppression.
- Improved fertility.
- Strength and energy in your workouts.
- Improved overall health from vitamins and minerals.
See our full breakdown of the best legal steroids above to find the one best suited for your goals.
Can Women Use These Legal Steroids?
Women can use some legal steroids, but they’re not all ideal for the female body. While these legal steroids are very mild compared to synthetic hormones, the best thing for women is the product that ramps up your body’s fat-burning and muscle-building abilities without elevating testosterone.
To burn some extra fat, Clenbutrol is a good option. For women looking to build more lean muscle mass, we recommend HGH-X2 and DecaDuro. If you love tough, high-intensity workouts and want that extra push for your training, try Anvarol.
As with any supplement, women need to be careful with the dosage. Women are generally smaller than men, so you shouldn’t match your male peer’s dosage.
To err on the safe side, make sure to stop using legal steroids if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding. Consult your doctor if you feel like you require any nutritional supplement during your pregnancy.
What Is the Difference Between Steroids for Cutting and Steroids for Bulking?
Steroids for bulking will stimulate muscle growth or work as prohormones (testosterone-mimicking compounds), improving your body’s ability to recover from workouts. This hormone has a natural ability to increase muscle protein synthesis .
Legal steroids for cutting sometimes work by improving your body’s ability to balance your blood sugar to help fat loss. Other products help your body burn fat.
Cutting steroids may also encourage serotonin production in your brain, which will help suppress your appetite and help you shed those extra pounds.
Why Shouldn’t I Use Traditional Anabolic Steroids?
You should only use traditional anabolic steroids under a doctor’s supervision for a specific medical condition. For athletic performance, they are unsafe. Performance-enhancing drugs have numerous adverse effects on both men and women .
Common side-effects include acne, aggressive behavior, baldness, and cardiovascular problems. Sometimes these conditions can be serious, causing permanent damage to your liver, kidneys, and heart.
In women, anabolic steroids may cause the appearance of masculine features, such as increased body hair, a deepened voice, and decreased breast size. In men, they can induce the shrinking of testicles and provoke breast development.
The misuse of illegal steroids to improve your muscle gain is incredibly risky at best, so you’re better off sticking to natural options.
What Are 3 Examples of Steroids?
Some examples of anabolic steroids are Deca-Durabolin, Winstrol, and Clenbuterol. Their legal counterparts are DecaDuro, Winstol, and Clenbutrol.
Is It Illegal To Be on Steroids?
Yes, it is illegal to be on anabolic steroids without a medical prescription. Both the possession and sale of anabolic steroids are drug offenses that can result in fines or jail time. Legal steroids are both safer and legal products to meet your athletic goals .
The best legal steroid is D-Bal Max, a natural muscle and strength builder. This product includes the testosterone-boosting hormone 20-hydroxyecdysone, proven to increase lean muscle mass, and improve insulin resistance.
D-Bal Max also includes a multivitamin and mineral blend to improve your overall health and BCAAs, and whey protein, to supercharge gains.
Some of these legal steroids will give you more energy to finish strenuous workouts; other products will activate your body’s natural muscle-building mechanisms. If you want to get shredded, improve your stamina, or build lean muscle mass, there’s an option for every athlete.
- “20-Hydroxyecdysone Increases Fiber Size in a Muscle-Specific Fashion in Rat.” Phytomedicine : International Journal of Phytotherapy and Phytopharmacology, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 26 June 2008, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18585021/.
- “20-Hydroxyecdysone Decreases Weight and Hyperglycemia in a Diet-Induced Obesity Mice Model.” American Journal of Physiology. Endocrinology and Metabolism, American Physiological Society, Mar. 2009, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2660145/.
- “20-Hydroxyecdysone Protects against Oxidative Stress-Induced Neuronal Injury by Scavenging Free Radicals and Modulating NF-ΚB and JNK Pathways.” PloS One, Public Library of Science, 11 Dec. 2012, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3519785/.
- “Branched-Chain Amino Acids and Muscle Protein Synthesis in Humans: Myth or Reality?” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, BioMed Central, 22 Aug. 2017, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568273/.
- “Ecdysteroids in Spinach (Spinacia Oleracea L.): Biosynthesis, Transport and Regulation of Levels.” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry : PPB, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 13 June 2008, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18653353/.
- “l-Carnitine Supplementation in Recovery after Exercise.” Nutrients, MDPI, 13 Mar. 2018, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5872767/.
- “Choline.” Linus Pauling Institute, 23 Mar. 2020, lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/other-nutrients/choline.
- “Blood Pressure and Metabolic Effects of Acetyl-l-Carnitine in Type 2 Diabetes: DIABASI Randomized Controlled Trial.” Journal of the Endocrine Society, Endocrine Society, 22 Mar. 2018, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5912091/.
- “The Use of Garcinia Extract (Hydroxycitric Acid) as a Weight Loss Supplement: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Clinical Trials.” Journal of Obesity, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 14 Dec. 2010, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3010674/.
- “Reduction of Adipose Tissue and Body Weight: Effect of Water Soluble Calcium Hydroxycitrate in Garcinia Atroviridis on the Short Term Treatment of Obese Women in Thailand.” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2007, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17215177/.
- “Guarana Provides Additional Stimulation over Caffeine Alone in the Planarian Model.” PloS One, Public Library of Science, 16 Apr. 2015, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4399916/.
- “Dangerous Dietary Supplements: Garcinia Cambogia-Associated Hepatic Failure Requiring Transplantation.” World Journal of Gastroenterology, Baishideng Publishing Group Inc, 7 Dec. 2016, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5143754/.
- “Long-Term Effects of Garcinia Cambogia/Glucomannan on Weight Loss in People with Obesity, PLIN4, FTO and Trp64Arg Polymorphisms.” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, BioMed Central, 24 Jan. 2018, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5781311/.
- “Adenosine-5′-Triphosphate.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Compound Database, U.S. National Library of Medicine, pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Adenosine-5_-triphosphate.
- “Adenosine-5′-Triphosphate (ATP) Supplementation Improves Low Peak Muscle Torque and Torque Fatigue during Repeated High Intensity Exercise Sets.” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, BioMed Central, 9 Oct. 2012, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3483284/.
- “Effects of Oral Adenosine-5′-Triphosphate Supplementation on Athletic Performance, Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy and Recovery in Resistance-Trained Men.” Nutrition & Metabolism, BioMed Central, 22 Sept. 2013, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3849389/.
- “Intravenous ATP Infusions Can Be Safely Administered in the Home Setting: a Study in Pre-Terminal Cancer Patients.” Investigational New Drugs, Springer US, Dec. 2007, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2039853/.
- “Intravenous ATP Infusions Can Be Safely Administered in the Home Setting: a Study in Pre-Terminal Cancer Patients.” Investigational New Drugs, Springer US, 1 Jan. 1970, link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10637-007-9076-1.
- “The Effect of l-Arginine Supplementation on Body Composition and Performance in Male Athletes: a Double-Blinded Randomized Clinical Trial.” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 25 Jan. 2017, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28120856/.
- “Therapeutic Benefits of l-Arginine: An Umbrella Review of Meta-Analyses.” Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 10 Sept. 2016, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27660594/.
- “Ethnobiology and Ethnopharmacology of Lepidium Meyenii (Maca), a Plant from the Peruvian Highlands.” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine : ECAM, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2012, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3184420/.
- “Safety of Long-Term Dietary Supplementation with L-Arginine in Rats.” Amino Acids, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 7 May 2015, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25948162/.
- “Adverse Gastrointestinal Effects of Arginine and Related Amino Acids.” The Journal of Nutrition, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2007, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17513449/.
- “The Role and Molecular Mechanism of D-Aspartic Acid in the Release and Synthesis of LH and Testosterone in Humans and Rats.” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology : RB&E, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 27 Oct. 2009, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19860889/.
- “The Importance of Magnesium in Clinical Healthcare.” Scientifica, Hindawi, 28 Sept. 2017, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5637834/.
- “Zinc in Human Health: Effect of Zinc on Immune Cells.” Molecular Medicine (Cambridge, Mass.), ScholarOne, 3 Apr. 2008, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2277319/.
- “Anti-Inflammatory and Antiarthritic Effects of Piperine in Human Interleukin 1beta-Stimulated Fibroblast-like Synoviocytes and in Rat Arthritis Models.” Arthritis Research & Therapy, BioMed Central, 13 Mar. 2009, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2688199/.
- “Critical Analysis on Characterization, Systemic Effect, and Therapeutic Potential of Beta-Sitosterol: A Plant-Derived Orphan Phytosterol.” Medicines (Basel, Switzerland), MDPI, 15 Nov. 2016, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5456237/.
- “Insights into Supplements with Tribulus Terrestris Used by Athletes.” Journal of Human Kinetics, Akademia Wychowania Fizycznego w Katowicach, 8 July 2014, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4120469/.
- “The Influence of the Tribulus Terrestris Extract on the Parameters of the Functional Preparedness and Athletes’ Organism Homeostasis.” Fiziolohichnyi Zhurnal (Kiev, Ukraine : 1994), U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2009, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20095389/.
- “Effects of Citrulline Supplementation on Exercise Performance in Humans: A Review of the Current Literature.” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, U.S. National Library of Medicine, May 2020, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31977835/.
- “Biological Activities of Ginseng and Its Application to Human Health.” Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. 2nd Edition., U.S. National Library of Medicine, 1 Jan. 1970, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92776/.
- “Effects of Ginseng on Stress-Related Depression, Anxiety, and the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis.” Journal of Ginseng Research, Elsevier, Oct. 2017, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5628357/.
- “Synthesis of Brassinosteroids Analogues from Laxogenin and Their Plant Growth Promotion.” Natural Product Research, U.S. National Library of Medicine, Oct. 2014, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25311045/.
- “Anabolic Effect of Plant Brassinosteroid.” FASEB Journal : Official Publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Oct. 2011, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3177571/.
- “Mucuna Pruriens Improves Male Fertility by Its Action on the Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Gonadal Axis.” Fertility and Sterility, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 29 Oct. 2008, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18973898/.
- “Protein – Which Is Best?” Journal of Sports Science & Medicine, Asist Group, 1 Sept. 2004, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3905294/.
- “Effect of Testosterone on Muscle Mass and Muscle Protein Synthesis.” Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), U.S. National Library of Medicine, Jan. 1989, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2917954/.
- “Effects of Androgenic-Anabolic Steroids in Athletes.” Sports Medicine (Auckland, N.Z.), U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2004, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15248788/.
- “Steroid Abuse by Law Enforcement Personnel”. Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Justice, www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/brochures/steroids/lawenforcement/.